The variety of meal ideas is endless and they can include just simple foods that you have in your fridge or cupboard.
I like to use mini-meals all the time and find they can take the edge off if you get really hungry but don’t have time for a full meal. Some people also tend to be grazers and eat several smaller meals throughout the day instead of the standard three bigger meals and that’s when having a variety of mini-meal ideas ready to go comes in handy.
Here are some of my ideas for quick and easy mini-meals.
Soup: Soup is a great way to get more vegetables in your diet and if you take a good vegetable soup (either homemade or a store bought variety with natural ingredients) and add a little something extra to it you can have a variety of mini-meals quickly and easily.
Here are some easy additions to try.
cooked and cubed white or sweet potatoes
cooked brown or basmati rice
canned beans (rinsed and drained)
grilled chicken, grilled salmon or
canned and drained salmon or tuna
baked tofu (cut into cubes and add to soup)
Fresh spinach is a nice addition, just stir it into the hot soup and the leaves will wilt into it.
Fresh chopped herbs like cilantro or basil make a nice topping. You could also add a small handful of grated fresh cheese.
Pita Sandwich: Here’s a simple mini-meal idea that is so quick and can be made with practically anything you have on hand. I usually mix a few ingredients together, stuff the pita and then add a flavorful topping. Here are some of my favorite stuffings.
* mix together: tuna, a little mayonnaise, celery, tomatoes topping: chopped fresh basil
* mix together: cooked chicken, Greek yogurt, cucumbers, sweet red peppers topping: sprinkling of chopped green olives
* mix together: Oriental style baked tofu, mustard, sliced scallions, water chestnuts topping: alfalfa or radish sprouts
* mix together: spread some almond butter in the pita on one or both sides and add some diced strawberries or bananas topping: a sprinkling of cinnamon or drizzle of honey
* String Cheese: another simple and quick idea and can be eaten with either sliced or cubed fruit of choice or vegetable sticks using carrots, celery, jicama, sweet peppers, cucumbers or chayote squash
* Fruit or Veggie Skewers: a simple idea and easy to make.
For fruit skewers: try apple and pear cubes with green or red grapes skewered on small wooden skewers alternating with cubes of sharp cheddar cheese or choose your favorite fruit and cheese combos
For veggie skewers: try chunks of sweet peppers, cherry or grape tomatoes, mushrooms, zucchini or even summer squash and your favorite cheese
Give these mini-meal ideas a try when you need a quick little meal in a hurry.